Learn from NO
August 19, 2014 @ 11:51:56
voice your opinion now!
Cal Evans has posted the next in his series offering advice to companies (and recruiters) out there looking to hire good, qualified and technically competent candidates. In this new post he suggests that these organizations learn something from when they get a "no" from the candidate.
Most companies have some variation of [the same] process for interviewing developers. [...] Between each bullet point is a decision point on the part of both your company and the candidate whether to move to the next step. Don't assume that just because you have a job, the candidate will be willing to move forward at each step. Some candidates will excuse themselves from the process for a variety of reasons.
He suggests that it's important to learn from the "no" and change things up accordingly. If you can find out the "why" behind the "no", you can make a change for the better. He reminds companies that "no" could also mean "not right now" or "not without extra information I don't have".
Set aside some time in your schedule soon after the break, but not immediately after - to contemplate why [the candidate said no]. Yes, this is largely navel gazing but it is important navel gazing. Did they see something in your team that you can correct? Is there a problem you can work on? Not every NO will be something you can fix, or even your fault, but make sure you spend a little time thinking about it.
A Talk With PHP Recruiter Lonnie Brown - Forget About Money & Take Care Of Your Candidates
February 10, 2014 @ 09:17:59
voice your opinion now!
On the 7PHP.com site today there's a different sort of community interview, this time with Lonnie Brown, a recruiter that's been focusing in on PHP development jobs for the last few years and helping people find that right fit.
You have all heard of recruitment; we have it in all sphere and The PHP Sphere is no exception to that. Have you ever had an talk with a recruiter? [...] Look no further, I bring you The Guy for all these questions and curiosity that you may have! [...] There are some that are making a difference and may be today this interview can show some lights down that tunnel. I would love to hear your comments and feedbacks after your reading + any questions to Lonnie Brown - I'm sure he will happily respond.
In the interview they talk some about Lonnie and his background in recruiting in general and more specific to the PHP community. They focus in on the PHP-related aspects of recruiting and some of the common challenges he deals with. Lonnie shares some of his thoughts for those looking for positions and dealing with recruiters in general.
Options Consulting Solutions Seeks PHP Developer Team Lead (Toronto, Canada)
April 26, 2011 @ 17:35:26
voice your opinion now!
||Options Consulting Solutions (Recruiting Agency)
||Toronto, Ontario, Canada
||PHP Developer Team Lead
My client is a developer of high-traffic, large-scale websites and currently has 5 PHP Developer Team Lead roles available due to aggressive growth. Centrally located in Toronto, competitive salaries, cutting edge technology and a flat structure that allows for growth and development. All in all a great environment. They are more than willing to sponsor/relocate candidates for these positions for the U. S., U.K. and Western Europe.
Reporting to the Development Manager, this role is responsible for the development of large scale Internet web sites. We are responsible for evaluation, design, selection and implementation of pragmatic, cost effective technologies, to support our various clients' business models.
- Proven team building and leadership experience in a web development environment
- Staff training and team development skills and experience
- Strong written/verbal communication skills
- Experienced in estimating effort and elapsed time required to complete project deliverables.
- Skilled in both Object Oriented and Non-Object Oriented Design and programming techniques.
- Several years of skill in PHP and at least one other object oriented language such as perl or Java.
- Experience designing with large scale distributed databases.
- Strong business and technical analytical ability so as to create robust technical design documentation from business requirements documentation.
- Proven ability to define success criteria to meet and measure quality expectations.
- Motivating and leading a team of 6 to 10 application developers.
- Provide feedback on business requirements documentation to ensure resolution of any apparent ambiguity or contradictions.
- Functional Breakdown, Design, Programming, testing and maintaining web site applications to support the business requirements.
- Perform impact analysis for design modification and obtain signoff from the Architecture Team.
- Participation in the selection and implementation of third party software to support design where it is practicable.
- Communicating with several third party billing processors to setup and maintain robust ecommerce billing solutions.
- Appropriate documentation for each development step - including functional, design, and testing specifications.
- Developing and documenting workload estimates (ie: Creation of workload breakdown plan to define and track software development efforts)
- Delivering functionality within these estimated effort and time frames
- Selection, implementation and/or modification of web development practices and methodologies to support continuous improvement efforts.
- Provide assistance to junior programmers to generate Low Level Design documentation for new or modified functionality.
- Conduct Design reviews with Technical Architect, Project Manager and Manager of Software Development for final design approvals.
- Conduct documentation and code reviews for their team members to ensure standards compliance.
- Define test methodology and use cases to analyze and verify software programs, forms, reports and interfaces.
- Communicate issues and status information to Project Management Office concerning system development activities.
- Liaison with Project Management Office to resolve scheduling conflict and project dependencies.
- Update system data and prepare conversion requirement as necessary for new implementation and production rollout.
- Participate in project status review meetings with other Team Leads and the Development Manager
- 5-6+ years of PHP 4/5 design/coding/testing/implementing using Open Source approach
- 4+ years of Object Orientation design and development experience for large scale distributed web applications
- Linux, Mac O/SX, MySQL, PHP, Apache/Light HTTP technologies experience
- Computer Science trained graduate or equivalent work experience
For more information contact Kenneth Cosgrove at firstname.lastname@example.org
Michelangelo van Dam's Blog:
Job Hunting 101
December 22, 2010 @ 11:15:02
voice your opinion now!
Those developers out there currently looking for a job (you shouldn't have to look too far) might want to read Michelangelo van Dam's take on job hunting 101 for of his experiences when recruiters contacting him.
In this day and age, everyone uses the internet for finding new jobs or to find a new employee, but more and more I sense that it's all turning into one big mess. This blog post is devoted to all those people contacting me because they have the best job position. [...] I know it's a tough market out there, lot's of competition and so many technologies and skills to keep track off. I know, but it is [you, the recruiter's] business! You decided to dive right into the job chaos, so don't cry if you have to do a bit of work. Do you think we just turn on the computer and it writes code itself ? You do your job, I do mine.
He points out a few specific times a recruiter has sent emails about a "direct hire position" that needs filling immediately or a Java developer (when, clearly, Michelangelo is a PHP developer). He also points out to recruiters that, despite what they may think, they're almost never the only one getting in contact about the same job.
if you're out looking for a new PHP job, go check out the community itself. Most of us have a list of companies with PHP job vacancies or we have a shortlist of trustworthy, understanding recruiters that have touched base with the PHP community and won't let you down once you sign up.
Staffing Technologies, LLC (Recruiter) Seeks Contract PHP Developer (Redmond, WA)
December 30, 2009 @ 21:15:55
voice your opinion now!
||Staffing Technologies, LLC
||PHP Developer (long term contract opportunity)
Staffing Technologies is a tier 1 vendor to more than 65 fortune 500 and 1,000 companies nationwide. We are currently recruiting for 2 contract PHP Developers for our broadband/wireless internet client based in Kirkland, Washington. These positions are responsible for the investigation, development and troubleshooting of website, sales, and customer care systems. You absolutely must be highly motivated and very comfortable with rapid changes in direction and environment. The successful candidate will be customer oriented results driven, and passionate about delivering innovative quality services to the client's customers.
- Develop site content and pages for external and internal websites
- Work closely with team members to deliver improvements to our web site, intranet, and sales systems. This includes working with IT and functional leads on researching solutions, investigating capabilities, developing requirements, and delivering system implementation
- Ensure applications are designed to support instrumentation objectives, rapid enhancement objectives and will provide superior user experiences
- Provide Tier 3 support for production applications on an as-needed basis
- Assist with the improvement and practice of a development methodology to consistently enhance and predictably deliver product to customers
- 3+ years experience developing commercial software in an agile environment through several complete development cycles - from specifications to software, also producing required documentation and providing production support
- 3+ years experience implementing mission critical internet based application systems implementing best practices for software code development, re-use, and componentization
- 2+ years experience with relational databases (MySQL, Oracle, Sybase, etc.)
- ZEND experience highly preferred
- Strong experience with Model View Controller (MVC) Spring, Struts, etc
- Strong Knowledge of internet technologies and languages (PHP, JSP, HTML, JS, XML, DHTML, CSS, XSLT, XHTML, Servlets, SOAP)
- Experience in distributed and multi-threaded systems and large website experience with an understanding of scaling issues
- Excellent communication skills
- Strongly customer oriented
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and challenging work environment
- Experience in wireless/telecommunications industry
BA/BS or equivalent in Information Systems, Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field
For more information or to submit a resume contact R. Scott Noel at email@example.com.
JKPorto Inc (Recruiter) Seeks Lead PHP Developer (New York, NY)
October 01, 2009 @ 11:01:40
voice your opinion now!
||JKPorto Inc (Recruiter)
||New York, NY
||Lead PHP Programmer
I am searching for a PHP LAMP developer for NYC, and having a hard time
finding talent in the area.
Lead PHP Programmer
We are looking for a motivated, team-oriented lead PHP programmer for our websites.
Job responsibilities include:
- Work hands-on to maintain existing websites, extend existing websites, and build new websites in our technology stack: PHP, mySQL, Apache, Linux
- Oversee and coordinate a team of site developers
- Provide guidance and leadership in implementing web technologies throughout the organization
- Serve as liaison between editorial, marketing and technical departments
Qualified candidates will have at least 5 years of PHP/mySQL web programming
experience within a Linux environment. Experience with Symfony PHP framework
is a big plus. Some experience with REST/SOAP/XML/JSON desirable.
For more information contact Jinny Porto at Jinny@jkporto.com
Banis & Associates (Recruiter) Seeks Tech Lead (Southeast US)
July 28, 2009 @ 09:09:10
voice your opinion now!
||Banis & Associates (Recruiter)
Our client, headquartered in the Southeast, is an online marketing services company that acquires new customers on behalf of brands in a variety of vertical markets, ranging from home and business services to education and automotive. Capabilities include lead generation, sales conversion, performance tracking and marketing channel optimization. Founded in 2000, the company has six offices and more than 500 employees.
Provide PHP programming and functionality for a wide variety of consumer related websites, intranets, extranets, and web-based applications.
Collaborate with business leaders to understand technology needs and requirements and lead a small team of developers.
Be challenged on a daily basis to solve problems in new and creative ways.
Design, evaluate, update, and maintain object oriented applications in PHP.
Share your opinions and insights with business leaders on a daily basis in order to affect rapid decision cycles and effective solutions to business requirements.
Translate vague business requirements into tangible and accurate technical requirements as well as anticipate future requirements within the design of new systems.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Sciences or similar field.
- 5+ years of solid PHP and MySQL development.
- The ability to translate business requirements into system design.
- Successful track record of working in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment.
- Exceptional debugging skills and the ability to easily and quickly read and modify existing code.
- Ability to effectively communicate with business leaders and marketing managers.
- Desire to take an active role in the success of the business unit.
- Genuine interest in our business and in creating technologies to enable its success.
- Sense of humor
Further information can be obtained by contacting:
Jeanne Boyce - Banis & Associates
at 815-468-0150 or firstname.lastname@example.org
All inquiries are kept on a strictly confidential basis.
Don't see your event here?
Let us know!