Looking to move from senior to lead developer. What should I know?
January 30, 2013 @ 12:31:15
voice your opinion now!
On Reddit.com recently, it was asked what kinds of things someone would need to know if trying to move from being a senior developer to a lead developer in their role. There's lots of answers - some serious, some not - but it's an interesting read.
I'm fairly confident that I am able to move into a lead developer role quite easily. I have worked in many places where the CTO was so incompetent that I've ended up doing a CTO's job as well as coding. Now I want to find a job where I can be a good lead developer. I might have some holes in my self-taught PHP knowledge, so what do you think I should know?
Some of the recommendations include:
- "The lead engineer is not the smartest guy in the room. Sometimes you will know the right answer, but just telling people what to do won't always get the right results. Ask them how to solve problems and let them own it."
- "It may be different where you are but I expect lead developers to be more of a 'lead' as in 'leader' than 'lead' as in 'best developer'. That is, you'll probably be expected to actually manage, delegate, and architect on top of your development abilities."
- "The lead dev will guarantee the whole architecture of the application and the processes of development."
- "If you, as a lead dev, are project managing then your employer is doing it VERY wrong."
Check out the full post for more discussion and to add your own thoughts.
Wikimedia Foundation Seeks Senior Software Developer (San Francisco, CA)
May 18, 2012 @ 07:22:40
voice your opinion now!
||San Francisco, CA
||Senior Software Developer
Some of the projects you'll work on:
- Develop new experimental editor engagement features for Wikimedia sites.
- Extend MediaWiki software to support new experimental features.
- Participate in periodic technology meetings for design, development and testing of experimental features.
- Scrum master for development team.
- 5+ years experience with rapid iterative software development processes, ability to quickly grasp requirements, derive UI workflow and develop functionality.
- Experience deploying code into high transaction volume production environments.
- Experience with A/B testing, cross-browser testing, debugging.
- Knowledge of Agile Methodologies such as Scrum and Extreme Programming (XP). ScrumMaster training preferred.
- Familiarity with version control systems/continuous integration tools (we use Git/Gerrit/Jenkins).
- Must be able to meet aggressive timelines, iterate rapidly, and switch rapidly across multiple projects.
- Strong communication skills: Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively; have strong written and oral communication skills as well as be able to collaborate easily within a cross-functional team.
- B.S. or M.S. Computer Science or related field preferred.
Extra Points if you have:
- Experience with MediaWiki and other open source PHP-based content management systems
- Experience in the Wikipedia community
- Experience contributing to a major Open Source project
- Understanding of free culture / free software /open source
- Experience working with online volunteers.
- Experience with wikis and participatory production environments.
- Good sense of humor
- Being creative, highly motivated, hard-working and ability to work effectively in multiple cultural contexts are great assets
- Comfortable working in an open, highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment
Please provide URLs to any existing open source software work you may have done (your own software or patches to other packages) if possible. We'd love to see what you can do!
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. According to comScore Media Metrix, Wikipedia and the other projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation receive more than 482 million unique visitors per month, making them the 5th most popular web property worldwide. Available in more than 270 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 21 million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of more than 100,000 people. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and grants. The Wikimedia Foundation was created in 2003 to manage the operation of Wikipedia and its sister projects. It currently employs 130 staff members. Wikimedia is supported by local chapter organizations in 38 countries or regions.
To apply, submit your information here (Jobvite)
Skillshare Seeks Senior Frontend Engineer (New York, NY)
January 18, 2011 @ 20:59:36
voice your opinion now!
||New York, NY
||Senior Frontend Engineer
Skillshare is a small yet fast-growing NYC-based web startup that is working on creating a marketplace to learn anything, from anyone.
Our mission is to flip the traditional notion of education on its head and revolutionize learning.
- 3+ years of production development experience
- Proficiency in Object Oriented PHP 5; Yii framework a big plus
- Experience in LAMP development and version control
- Familiarity with cross-browser intricacies
- Familiarity with JSON and/or XML
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Must be legally able to work in the US
- Must be located (or be willing to relocate) in NYC
- Experience with MySQL
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services
- Familiarity with Payment systems and gateways
- Experience working in a start-up environment
- Interest in social good or education
You may learn more about us on blog.skillshare.com or @skillshare
If you are interested and qualified, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please no recruiters.
Company Confidential Seeks Senior PHP Developer (Montreal, Quebec, Canada)
January 11, 2011 @ 13:56:24
voice your opinion now!
||Montreal, Quebec, Canada
||Senior PHP Developer
Our client is an incredibly successful organization in the digital media sector. They are enjoying ongoing growth. As such, they require a Senior PHP Developer.
Being a highly motivated and dedicated professional with an exceptional commitment to excellence while understanding the importance of being a team player is paramount in your being successful with our client. Your mandate is to take part in the programming activities for the various projects related to the development of web applications.
- Contribute to the development with object oriented programming (PHP5);
- Work comfortably with MySQL;
- Diagnose and repair problems/bugs;
- Design, develop and draft functional specs as required during the development process;
- Carry out complementary tasks to your day-to-day responsibilities.
- Bachelor in computer science or any other pertinent training;
- Over 5 years experience in web programming;
- Experience in working with MySQL, or MS SQL, HTML and PHP 4 or 5;
- Experience in Flash and Action Script (asset).
- Excellent team player.
- French or English, however bilingualism is an asset.
To apply or for more information, contact Robert at email@example.com
Moontoast Seeks Senior PHP Engineer (Nashville, TN)
January 04, 2011 @ 21:04:09
voice your opinion now!
||Senior PHP Engineer
Who You Are
You have over 3 years of professional work experience developing web applications and you
think social is going to change the online world. You are analytical, inquisitive, energetic with a
bias toward action, and comfortable with both quantitative and qualitative data. You understand
and embrace agile development, and you want to write the best code of your life every time you
sit in front of the computer, but still understand the difference between theoretical perfection and
working software you can actually deliver.
What You'll Do
As Moontoast's senior PHP guru, you will be called upon to perform the following Herculean
tasks in order to help us kick our competitors' collective rear ends:
- Work with the Product Manager to determine both what features are feasible and what
resources in terms of time, money, and manpower said features will take to get done.
- Delegate, delegate, delegate. No-one can do everything themselves - make good and
appropriate use of your team.
- Mentor and lead your subordinate developers by both word and deed with regards to
best practices, documentation, and - perhaps most importantly - work ethic.
- Review the work of your peers, make improvements and explain why the improvements
were needed. Help everyone be a better developer.
- Design and actually execute a whoop-ass server-side application, using a boatload of
different technologies. Be excited to try new techniques and tech but also recognize the
value of the tried-and-true.
- Understand that what you're building is a complex and real application, and should be
treated accordingly. We expect you to understand MVC, data modeling, the request life
cycle, and general programming tenets with regards to same. We're looking for a rock
star - don't be a karaoke singer.
- Ensure your output and that of your team is modular and reusable in many different
contexts - nobody wants to do the same thing twice.
- Respond to bug reports with speed and test your fixes. For that matter, test everything
- Communicate your designs to the other team members in a way that everyone
understands and will minimize back-and-forth.
- Collaborate with and rely on the experience and knowledge of the Software Architects,
but don't follow blindly. If you disagree, say so. Discussion never hurt anyone.
- Respect the best practices and standards of both the industry and the company.
- Write robust automated tests, and be responsible for your team doing the same.
- Collaborate with the VP of Engineering and Software Architects to help us all figure out
and set down our internal standards and best practices.
- Assist the VP of Engineering and Software Architects with improving the development
process. Help make us as productive as we can be.
- Be a positive role model to your juniors. 'Nuff said.
- Communicate with regularity and aplomb regarding the product, your team's progress,
and pretty much everything else. We're not looking for a closet case here. Be vocal and
be in touch.
- Own your work - when you screw up, admit it, fix it, and learn from the experience.
- Playing the blame game is a waste of time, and nobody likes a complainer.
Desired Skills and Experience
- >3 years of experience in Web 2.0 app development (Web Services, PHP, Ajax).
- PHP and OOP expertise. Know your OOP axioms.
- Knowledge of and experience with Zend Framework
- Extensive experience working with RDBMSs (primarily MySQL). To a lesser degree,
- experience with MongoDB and other NoSQL datastores.
- Comfort working in a Linux environment, and deep familiarity with a CLI text editor like
- VIM or EMACS.
- Strong knowledge of HTTP.
- Shell scripting and Amazon EC2 experience a plus.
- Experience working with the git VCS.
- Working in Facebook Platform and Open Social a big plus.
Moontoast is a complete social commerce platform that makes social media profitable. Working
seamlessly within a brand's social experience, Moontoast products create deeper connections
and conversations through highly interactive communities; streaming, pay-per-view events;
and exclusive, private sales clubs. Each product in the Moontoast suite dovetails into the next,
creating a virtual funnel designed to increase engagement and spend at each level. Moontoast
currently offers three core products for either standalone or integrated implementation-
a branded community, embedded store, and private sales club. An extension to the store
product, includes features tailored to meet the social commerce needs of the music, retail, and
publishing industries, is scheduled to launch in early 2011.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grow LLC Seeks Senior LAMP Developer (New York, NY)
September 21, 2010 @ 21:01:38
voice your opinion now!
||New York, NY
||Senior LAMP developer
Healthcare company based in New York City is looking to fill a Senior PHP Developer Position. They are seeking a Senior PHP Developer with a good reputation and ideally 5 years of experience building commercial, enterprise PHP and MySQL web applications in a production LAMP environment to join their team.
You will join a team working to launch many anticipated product releases to commercialization, deliver complex web software products, and build software applications.
This is an on-site permanent position, based in midtown Manhattan.
For serious consideration please submit your resume and a portfolio link please.
- 5+ years professional experience in object oriented PHP5 and MySQL application development
- A B.S. in computer science or related discipline, more advanced technical degree preferred
- Expertise in building applications using PHP5, MySQL, SQL, MVC, and AJAX
- Must be comfortable with object oriented programming concepts and principles and building Zend Framework applications
- Extensive experience with MySQL
- In-depth knowledge of software engineering processes
- Ability to learn quickly and take ownership of tasks, process, and products
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), time management, troubleshooting, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- Positive, enthusiastic, energetic, detail oriented, and self-motivated
- Ability to work independently and as a team member in a dynamic work environment
- Team player who thrives in a start-up environment is a MUST
- Must be authorized to work in the US
- Zend Framework Experience
- Proficiency in LAMP environment
For more Information or to submit your resume for consideration contact Tyler Lim at email@example.com
DunnWell, LLC Seeks OO PHP/Software Developer (Durham, NC)
June 22, 2010 @ 21:02:12
voice your opinion now!
||OO PHP / Software Developer
DunnWell is a rapidly growing services firm located in the heart of Research Triangle Park, North Carolina. We are working on a next generation version of ServiceNet, the web application that underpins our business model and drives our growth.
We are looking for a senior PHP developer to help guide the project. This position provides the opportunity to heavily influence the architecture of the application and to work on several leading edge concepts spanning mobile platforms, social networks, and cloud computing.
DunnWell offers competitive pay and excellent benefits. Multiple restaurants and storefronts operate within walking distance of the office, and our location also offers a convenient commute from all communities in the Triangle.
The right person will be responsible for all aspects of software development, including: feature development and planning, code writing, testing, deployment, and QA/bugfixes. The ideal candidate will be responsible for the software coding, testing, documentation, and timely debugging of issues.
- 3+ years of OO PHP on the LAMP Stack
- MVC Frameworks: Zend, Symphony, CakePHP, CodeIgniter, etc.
- Subversion or similar version control
- Experience working in a small, cross-functional team environment
- Document-oriented databases, such as MongoDB, CouchDB, etc..
- Test/Behavior Driven Development, unit testing experience.
- Mobile application development (iPhone, Android, etc)
For more information or to submit your resume, see http://tbe.taleo.net/NA12/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=DUNNWELL&cws=1&rid=24
Moontoast Seeks Senior PHP Developer (Nashville, TN)
April 27, 2010 @ 18:26:08
voice your opinion now!
||Senior PHP Developer (Contract w/Full Time Possibility)
Moontoast is a social commerce network for people to pursue and promote their passions through personal relationships. Moontoast simply connects those who know, with those who want to know.
Moontoast is seeking passionate, senior PHP developers-who want to pursue and promote their passion for writing high quality code-to enhance the Moontoast social commerce platform. We are looking for self-motivated individuals with the right attitude and excellent skills who can hit the ground running in a fast-paced web startup. Ideal candidates will thrive in a tight-knit team environment, promoting their passion for software design by leading product teams and mentoring our growing development team.
The main responsibilities of a senior PHP developer include:
- Working with the senior developers and architects to provide leadership in technical design and architecture of the Moontoast platform
- Setting estimates and expectations for new product development and implementing new features, tracking on target deadlines
- Mentoring and leading developers by example through writing clean, well-documented, maintainable code and enforcing standards and best practices
- Participating as an active Moontoast Guide in the Moontoast Developer Community
We are looking for:
- 5+ years of experience with PHP
- 8+ years of experience with web development
- Deep understanding of browsers and HTTP
- Experts at object-oriented programming concepts and design patterns
- Demonstrated ability to design and develop complex web services
- Extensive experience with the Symfony framework and Doctrine
- Working knowledge of version control systems (Subversion, Git, etc.)
- BS in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience
We would like to see:
- A passion for web development and an interest in sharing that with others
- Independent thinkers with strong leadership qualities
- Demonstrated ability to develop large-scale websites
- Experience with service-oriented architectures, web services, and Cloud technologies
- Knowledge of advanced data organization concepts, such as sharding
- Experience with other PHP frameworks utilizing the MVC design pattern
- Expert Linux development skills, from the command prompt to the web server
- Open source project development experience
- Developer community involvement (blogging, speaking, articles, Twitter, etc.)
- Zend PHP 5 Certification
- MS in Computer Science
We invite interested candidates to send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Red Ventures Seeks Senior Web Applications Developer (Charlotte, NC)
April 27, 2010 @ 18:21:20
voice your opinion now!
||Senior Web Applications Developer
Do you have a passion for open-source technology? Are you a whiz at PHP and MySQL? Red Ventures, an online marketing company headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, offers an exciting, high-energy work environment. As a rapid application development company, we minimize over-engineering and empower you to make decisions and manage tasks.
Red Ventures has been named one of the Best Places to Work in Charlotte by the Charlotte Business Journal and has spent the last 2 years in the Top 25 of the Inc 500. The North Carolina Technology Association awarded Red Ventures with the Fastest Growing Technology Company in the state - what a great place to take your web development career to the next level. Our employees enjoy oversized, hexagonal work spaces. You'll be equipped with a desktop Linux as well as a laptop Windows development environment, and receive as many 19" and 24" monitors as you need. Dress is casual - jeans and t-shirts are just fine. Free weekly lunch-and-learn sessions provide opportunities for ongoing training.
Perks include an exceptional benefits package, 70% paid gym membership, exclusive product and service discounts, and discounts at local restaurants and businesses. You'll also enjoy frequent team reward activities ranging from go-karting to happy hours to four-day excursions to Cancun, Mexico. Are you getting all this from your current employer?
Typical daily activities:
- Work along other senior developers to provide PHP programming and functionality for a wide variety of consumer related websites, intranets, extranets, and web-based applications
- Be challenged on a daily basis to solve problems in new and creative ways
- Design, evaluate, update, and maintain object oriented applications in PHP
- Share your opinions and insights with business leaders on a daily basis in order to affect rapid decision cycles and effective solutions to business requirements
- Translate vague business requirements into tangible and accurate technical requirements as well as anticipate future requirements within the design of new systems
What we look for in you:
- Bachelor's degree in Information Sciences or similar field
- 5+ years of solid PHP and MySQL development
- The willingness to learn from a team of world-class developers
- The ability to translate business requirements into system design
- Successful track record of working in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment
- Exceptional debugging skills and the ability to easily and quickly read and modify existing code
- Sense of humor!
For more information or to submit your resume, see http://tbe.taleo.net/NA7/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=REDVENTURES&cws=1&rid=20
Vermont Information Processing Seeks Senior/Lead PHP Developer (Burlington, VT)
March 04, 2010 @ 16:00:27
voice your opinion now!
||Vermont Information Processing (VIP)
||Senior/Lead PHP Developer
We are seeking an experienced PHP Application Developer with serious chops and mentorship/team-building skills to develop and lead a team in the creation of new, enterprise level applications for our large client base.
We are looking for a high energy, self-starter who loves to create usable applications. You must be able to participate and lead others in all areas of the software development lifecycle, including gathering requirements, writing specifications, programming, testing, documentation, etc...
- 5+ years of professional application development experience in PHP
- Experience with PHP frameworks
- Work with the senior engineers to provide clear leadership in technical design and architecture of Betfair US software systems
- Excellent system architecture and application/database design skills
- Skilled in working with large databases and writing high performance, scalable applications
- Ability to prioritize, multitask and manage work in order to meet critical timelines
- Strong hands on skills in - PHP, RoR, Java, Flash, AMFPhP, memcached, memqueue, + at least one of LAMP stack environments
- Relational Databases and SQL ( MySQL, Oracle, logical design and stored procedures).
- Proven ability to lead and manage a team of engineers
- Deep experience building Distributed Large Scale Systems focused on highly available websites
- Proven ability to operate effectively at the senior level
- Exceptional motivator and technical leader
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
Candidate must be prepared to demonstrate skills by providing code samples or take tests to demonstrate ability to document your experience in significant prior projects.
Vermont Information Processing is a software and services company that serves he beverage industry. Our software applications handle all business functions for a beverage distributor including inventory management, order processing, sales reporting and financial management. We offer a full benefits package that includes health, 401k, ESOP, profit sharing and on-site childcare. We are located just outside of Burlington, VT.
For more infromation or to submit your resume, contact Teresa Langston at Teresa.Langston@vtinfo.com or by phone 802-655-9400 ext. 2718 or cell phone at 802-498-7310.
Don't see your event here?
Let us know!