Who You Are
You have over 3 years of professional work experience developing web applications and you
think social is going to change the online world. You are analytical, inquisitive, energetic with a
bias toward action, and comfortable with both quantitative and qualitative data. You understand
and embrace agile development, and you want to write the best code of your life every time you
sit in front of the computer, but still understand the difference between theoretical perfection and
working software you can actually deliver.
What You'll Do
As Moontoast's senior PHP guru, you will be called upon to perform the following Herculean
tasks in order to help us kick our competitors' collective rear ends:
- Work with the Product Manager to determine both what features are feasible and what
resources in terms of time, money, and manpower said features will take to get done.
- Delegate, delegate, delegate. No-one can do everything themselves - make good and
appropriate use of your team.
- Mentor and lead your subordinate developers by both word and deed with regards to
best practices, documentation, and - perhaps most importantly - work ethic.
- Review the work of your peers, make improvements and explain why the improvements
were needed. Help everyone be a better developer.
- Design and actually execute a whoop-ass server-side application, using a boatload of
different technologies. Be excited to try new techniques and tech but also recognize the
value of the tried-and-true.
- Understand that what you're building is a complex and real application, and should be
treated accordingly. We expect you to understand MVC, data modeling, the request life
cycle, and general programming tenets with regards to same. We're looking for a rock
star - don't be a karaoke singer.
- Ensure your output and that of your team is modular and reusable in many different
contexts - nobody wants to do the same thing twice.
- Respond to bug reports with speed and test your fixes. For that matter, test everything
- Communicate your designs to the other team members in a way that everyone
understands and will minimize back-and-forth.
- Collaborate with and rely on the experience and knowledge of the Software Architects,
but don't follow blindly. If you disagree, say so. Discussion never hurt anyone.
- Respect the best practices and standards of both the industry and the company.
- Write robust automated tests, and be responsible for your team doing the same.
- Collaborate with the VP of Engineering and Software Architects to help us all figure out
and set down our internal standards and best practices.
- Assist the VP of Engineering and Software Architects with improving the development
process. Help make us as productive as we can be.
- Be a positive role model to your juniors. 'Nuff said.
- Communicate with regularity and aplomb regarding the product, your team's progress,
and pretty much everything else. We're not looking for a closet case here. Be vocal and
be in touch.
- Own your work - when you screw up, admit it, fix it, and learn from the experience.
- Playing the blame game is a waste of time, and nobody likes a complainer.
Desired Skills and Experience
- >3 years of experience in Web 2.0 app development (Web Services, PHP, Ajax).
- PHP and OOP expertise. Know your OOP axioms.
- Knowledge of and experience with Zend Framework
- Extensive experience working with RDBMSs (primarily MySQL). To a lesser degree,
- experience with MongoDB and other NoSQL datastores.
- Comfort working in a Linux environment, and deep familiarity with a CLI text editor like
- VIM or EMACS.
- Strong knowledge of HTTP.
- Shell scripting and Amazon EC2 experience a plus.
- Experience working with the git VCS.
- Working in Facebook Platform and Open Social a big plus.
Moontoast is a complete social commerce platform that makes social media profitable. Working
seamlessly within a brand's social experience, Moontoast products create deeper connections
and conversations through highly interactive communities; streaming, pay-per-view events;
and exclusive, private sales clubs. Each product in the Moontoast suite dovetails into the next,
creating a virtual funnel designed to increase engagement and spend at each level. Moontoast
currently offers three core products for either standalone or integrated implementation-
a branded community, embedded store, and private sales club. An extension to the store
product, includes features tailored to meet the social commerce needs of the music, retail, and
publishing industries, is scheduled to launch in early 2011.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.