- Develop and maintain web applications according to project specifications
and professional best practices.
- Submit accurate daily time reports on business activities.
- Help direct junior team members while accepting direction from senior team
members; participate in code reviews and other professional improvement
- This is a telecommute position. The candidate will work from home or
other remote space. Frequent phone calls are to be expected, so the
remote space should be quiet and free of distractions during such calls.
Occasional travel to meet with clients or other team members in person
may be requested.
- At least 3-5 years recent continuous experience in professional (paid)
application development with PHP 5, preferably in team environments.
- At least 1-2 years of experience with a mature MVC framework (such as
CakePHP, CodeIgniter, Symfony, Zend, or Solar).
- At least 3 years of experience working with MySQL databases. Preference will
be given to those who have additional experience outside of MySQL.
(jQuery preferred) and AJAX applications is preferred but not required.
- Experience with Subversion or another version control system
- In addition to the above areas of experience, experience in any of the
following are preferred:
- Enterprise-level applications
- Scaling large web applications
- Social media applications
- Mobile applications
- Affiliate, internet marketing, or network marketing applications
- Customizing Wordpress, ExpressionEngine or Drupal applications
- Customizing Magento or other e-commerce applications
- Interfacing with PayPal, Twitter, or Facebook APIs
- Oracle, SQLite, PostreSQL, Memcached, or "no-SQL" databases
- Languages other than PHP, such as Ruby, Python, Perl, Erlang, or C
- Formal software development methodologies
- Adobe Flash, Flex and/or AIR application development
- Able to produce semantic, lightweight, accessible, and maintainable
web pages from Adobe Photoshop designs
- Cross-browser compatibility issues
Education and Certifications
- A Bachelor's Degree in a technical field such as Computer Science or
Information Systems is preferred but not required.
- Zend Certified Engineers are given preference.
Technical Requirements (i.e., demonstrated proficiency with ... )
- Database schema design and normalization
- Software development best practices (including PEAR coding standards,
code hygiene, design patterns, and unit/integration testing)
- HTML/XHTML/HTML 5, CSS 2/3, web standards, and accessibility
- XML, AJAX, REST, and other API-related technologies
- Web application security threats and secure software development practices
- Familiarity with Apache server operation and configuration
- Familiarity with Unix-like operating systems (Linux, BSD, Mac OS X) at the command
line, including SSH, text editors, and other tools
- Because this is a telecommute position, a very high level of responsibility
and trustworthiness is required, demonstrated by continuous communication
with team members on the current state of assigned work. This requires both
the ability to operate independently *and* the ability to work with others
as a team.
- Regardless of technical ability, personality must fit the company culture;
in particular, we prefer "humble but direct." Honesty, integrity, and
trustworthiness are paramount.
- Commitment to delivering a high-quality work product within the
necessary constraints of time and other resources.
- Able to think critically and take action based on business needs;
analyze data, interpret results, and recommend alternatives.
- Motivated to accept stated and explicit client problems as their own,
and to uncover unstated or implicit problems that require solutions.
- Strong work ethic, on-time performance, and high attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (both with clients and
- Proven ability to self-manage and prioritize among multiple projects
when given proper context and direction.
- Strong problem-solving skills; able to find creative solutions to
unfamiliar or difficult problems.
- Take initiative for professional development, eagerness to learn.
For more information or to submit your resume, contact Matt Blackwell at email@example.com