On the TechChorus blog today Sudheer has posted his answer to a question posed to him on LinkedIn - "What is your definition of a 'true PHP developer'?" His short answer? The question is wrong. Here's the long answer:
A true PHP developer is a programmer who knows PHP. A false PHP developer is someone who doesn't know PHP. That's the closest correct answer I can think of. I think, Jamie wants to ask, "what's your definition of a good PHP developer?". There is no correct answer to the question. All, you can do is highlight some of the good things a PHP developer does. Let's seize this opportunity to talk about the traits of a good PHP developer. Most of the things that apply for a discussion about good PHP programmer also applies to a good web developer and good programmer in general.
He lists some of the criteria he thinks personifies good PHP developers including:
- A good PHP programmer writes PHP code everyday
- A good PHP programmer always keeps security in mind
- A good PHP programmer keeps an eye open for trending technologies
- A good PHP programmer knows at least one popular framework very well
- A good PHP programmer embraces industry best practices
- A good PHP programmer is comfortable working with version control systems
- A good PHP programmer keeps a tab on PEAR and PECL
- A good PHP programmer writes articles
There's quite a few more than just those listed, so be sure to check out the full list for more good suggestions.