The AAMC and the medical schools, teaching hospitals, academic and professional societies, faculty, residents, and students we represent are committed to improving the nation's health through medical education, research, and high-quality patient care. We are dedicated to the communities we serve, committed to advancing the public good, and steadfast in our desire to earn and keep the public's trust for the role we are privileged to play in our society.
The senior engineer will provide full lifecycle support in maintaining and enhancing our existing suite of web applications, primarily those utilizing PHP technology. The engineer will also work with customers to assess business needs, document requirements as needed, design solutions, create prototypes for user acceptance, and work with quality assurance team members to ensure the produced implementation meets functional and performance requirements. The engineer may also oversee a small group of developers, reporting the status to their project manager.
This senior engineer must be an experienced professional who can work on complex projects with minimal supervision, perform as a technical lead, and assist with project management responsibilities as needed.
- Works with other software engineers to develop project estimates, tasks and schedules
- Provides project status updates to managers and business partners
- Directs development of system documentation according to established standards
- Participates in structured walkthroughs and technical reviews, as needed
- Assists in reviews of and revisions to the AAMC best practices within I.T.
- Collaborates with internal business partners, vendors, consultants, and managers to define service levels
- Plans, schedules, and conducts system tests; monitors test results; and directs follow-up
- Leads efforts to enhance performance of existing applications
- Interfaces regularly with other I.T. teams and sections, business partners and business/requirements analysts to determine new system requirements and to solve complex operational problems
- Aids in systems development planning and monitoring
- Provides technical mentoring to junior developers
- Very strong communication skills
- Strong teambuilding and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, mathematics, engineering or related discipline required (may be waived with strong practical experience)
- Minimum of 4 years of PHP 5 experience
- Minimum of 1 year using the Zend Framework in practice
- Minimum of 1 year using an AJAX framework in practice, such as ExtJS or DOJO
- Working knowledge of SQL on relational database systems
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work effectively in a deadline-driven environment
- Experience collaborating with senior technical staff in the development of software designs.
- Demonstrated proficiency at following accepted software development life cycles and associated standards and procedures, including any of the commonly used iterative methods.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively adapt to changing technology and apply it to business needs
- Zend Certified Engineer (ZCE) preferred
- Experience applying Interaction Design, Interface design, and other User Experience skills in practice preferred
- Experience developing ColdFusion web applications is highly desired
- Experience developing Java web applications is a plus
- Experience using Oracle database technology is preferred
The Association of American Medical Colleges is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
For more information, please contact Suzanne Bouchard at email@example.com