Thanks to an initial article from Brandon Savage the topic of code commenting has been floating around the PHP community and several members have taken the opportunity to express a few thoughts of their own:
- Brandon Savage's blog entry kicking off the discussion by noting that not commenting the code is the "accrual of technical debt".
- In his blog post Marco Tabini mostly agrees with Brandon's comments with one difference - he suggests that correct code doesn't need comments.
- Dagfinn Reiersol takes a more pragmatic approach to the issue and wants to see the code before making a decision on whether the comments are needed or not.
- Benjamin Eberlei reinforces this refactoring idea and suggests staying away from ambiguous names and unclear code practices.
- Richard Thomas notes that comments have their place but they don't need to be taken to either extreme.
- Rob Allen's opinions on Benjamin Eberlei's thoughts
- Brandon Savage's reply to all of the criticism he's recieved over his initial post
Posted any thoughts or comments of your own on the subject and do see them here? Let us know!