Without going into theoretical details, some of which are quite alien to me, I'll try to describe some of the challenges that pattern patching rewriting macros might pose for a language like php. After brief explanation what kind of a beast is this, I try to explore some of the finer points, which might cause problems. The intent of this post is to sketch a design and highlight some of the possible issues.
He breaks up the post into a few sections:
- pattern matching rewrite only macros - a bird eye view
- Transformation time
- Basic/skeleton shapes and intermediate shapes
- Code generation issues specific to php
- A rough macro shape outline
- Output/Status of the project