We are seeking an experienced PHP developer, who will assume principal responsibility for software development and maintenance for the Center for Stem Cell Biology at Vanderbilt University.
- Responsible for maintaining and enhancing the Center website: http://www.vcscb.org .
- Also, for maintaining and enhancing existing web applications connected to the website: the Gene Targeting Experiment Tracker (GTET), and a reagent inventory application.
- Also, for developing new web applications for the Center, as needed, and according to end user requirements (the end users, by and large, being laboratory scientists.)
- All of the above understood to include design work, prototyping, testing, debugging, documentation, etc, etc.
- Collaborate with developers that support the Beta Cell Biology Consortium ( http://www.betacell.org ); this includes development and maintenance of a shared code library.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Proficiency with Linux/UNIX
- Proficiency with object-oriented programming
- Proficiency with PHP, LAMP and Python development
- Familiarity with at least one MVC framework (Ruby on Rails, Django or CakePHP)
- Familiarity with AJAX techniques and with at least one AJAX framework (JQuery preferred)
- Fluency with SQL and possessing significant experience with at least one RDBMS (Oracle, MySQL, or PostGreSQL)
- Familiarity with source code control (Subversion, CVS)
- Proven ability to work independently or in a team environment; good organization and communication skills
- Attention to detail and deadlines
- A deep-seated need to learn and excel
- Education in biology or experience in biological research preferred
- Bachelors degree in either a computer science or related field or equivalent experience in software development
RESUME SUBMISSION INFORMATION:
Direct submission: http://vanderbilt.jobs/ (job code #00215579)
This is a full-time position which includes a competitive benefits package.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and professional experience.
Background screens will be performed and education will be verified prior to employment. Please be prepared to provide required information and/or documentation.
Vanderbilt is a smoke-free workplace in compliance with the Non-Smoker Protection Act, Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-1801-1810. In accordance with that law and Vanderbilt policy, smoking is prohibited in all enclosed areas on Vanderbilt property.